Welcome Back with a Big Splash!

Welcome back to a new term in Nursery! We hope everyone had a wonderful break. Isn’t it hard to believe we are already here at the start of the Summer Term?

It was really lovely to welcome the children back; they all returned with such confidence and chatted away about their holidays & Easter egg eating experiences before setting off to explore all their favourites places in the classroom and garden.

Inside, they were delighted to discover that Mrs Williams had been working hard on some home renovations over the holidays, adding an office extension & dressing room to our home corner!

And outside, many of the children raced straight back into our mud kitchen to mix up a delicious assortment of salads, soups & smoothies!

Probably the most exciting news this week, however, has been the introduction of a set of Numberblocks!  As you may know, the children are crazy about this fantastic CBeebies series and we often watch it at the end of the session, when we are waiting for our grown-ups to collect us.  We have lots of unfix cubes in the classroom, which the children have been using to make the different Numberblocks, but they often complain that they don’t have the right colours to make them accurately.

Image result for numberblocks

So, over the holidays, I did a bit of online shopping and was able to find a set of Numberblocks in the right colours, complete with Numberblock faces!  I couldn’t wait to show the children what I had found and, of course, they were thrilled to meet the Numberblocks 1 to 10.  They knew how to order the Numberblocks correctly and some of them even had a go at writing the numbers!  What fantastic number work Nursery!

If you would like to have a go at ordering the Numberblocks at home, why not try this game.

Finally, our topic this term will be Splish, Splash, Splosh! We will be reading all sorts of water-themed stories & thinking about water as a precious resource.

I will shortly be sending home the next issue of Nursery News with lots of ideas for how you can support your child’s learning at home during the course of this topic – so do look out for it.

This week, we started our water-themed topic with a great, big splash of a story! ‘The Pig in the Pond’ tells the tale of a very hot and bothered pig who sits next to a pond but doesn’t, at first, go in the water quite simply because “pigs don’t swim”.  Now, you may remember, back in February, when we were learning about Chinese New Year, the children discovered that, in actual fact, pigs can swim! Rather impressively, they had all remembered this and were quite incredulous when I dared to read this part of the story – quickly correcting me – ‘but pigs can swim’!  Well done Nursery – what super memories you have.

Image result for pig in the pond

You can revisit the story here (as always, I would suggest turning the sound off and reading the story yourself – but be sure to add in something along the lines of ‘but of course, we already know pigs can swim’ 🐷):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsB6t8E_Lao