Architects, Historians and Dancers!

Dear Parents and Carers

We have come to the end of our first half term in Year 2, and I would like to start by saying a big thank you for how well everyone has adapted to this new school year, it is different, but we’re trying to keep it as normal as possible for the children.

It was lovely to see lots of you at parents evening, and I wanted to clarify some things about the phonics screening test I spoke about to all of you, as I have been told there has been some confusion. The phonics screening is a national requirement for Year 1 children to sit, and it happens every year. As all school testing was cancelled in the last school year due to Covid, it has been rescheduled for the end of this term. If your child doesn’t pass it then, they will have another go at the end of Year 2; again, this is the standard procedure. We are doing all we can in school to make this as easy as possible for everyone, and to ensure that every child is supported appropriately.

With this in mind, the children have brought home a small pack of resources to help you to help them practise at home. They also came home today with the parents evening notes. These are not school reports, and are simply a record of what was said at the meeting. Because of these resources being sent home, I have not set any specific spellings on Spelling Shed this week, but both Spelling Shed and Maths Shed can still be accessed if your child would like to use them.

This week the children have written information pages linked to our topic. They have built Jewish Sukkahs, celebrating the Jewish harvest festival of Sukkot (linked to our R.E. topic of Judaism). In maths, we have been learning how to add and subtract when crossing the tens. We have been using dienes to visualise exchanging ones into tens, and vice versa.  In History, we learnt about Rosa Parks, looking at her life and how an ordinary person did extraordinary things. In P.E., we continued our dance lessons, with the children creating their own dance sequences.

I hope you all have a lovely and restful half term,

Mr Stocking and Mrs Killy