The Lighthouse Keeper’s Catastophe!

This week we have read the story ‘The Lighthouse Keeper’s Catastrophe’ where poor Mr Grinling loses the key to the lighthouse. We have sequenced the key events of the story and next week we will be writing a diary entry as Mr Grinling recounting the day.

In maths we have been reviewing partitioning by identifying the place value of each digit in a number including zero. We have then developed our reasoning skills by solving worded problems.

This week we have started getting ready for Sport’s Day by practising the different events.

In R.E we have been learning about symbolism in the Jewish faith. Miss Barnham showed the class various objects that are important to the Jewish faith and the children learnt about their symbolism.

The School Councillors are organising an ‘off by heart’ poetry competition which will take place on Monday 2nd July. The children have been given  two poems to choose from which they can practise at home. The two poems the children can choose from are:

I Think I’ll Go and Eat Worms

Nobody loves me,

Everybody hates me,

I think I’ll go and eat worms.

Great big fat ones,

Long thin skinny ones,

And the gravy goes

SLURP, SLURP, SLURP, SLURP.

or

Witch, Witch

“Witch, witch, where do you fly?”                                                                                         “Under the clouds and over the sky.”

“Witch, witch, what do you eat?”                                                                                           “Little, black apples from Hurricane Street.”

“Witch, witch, what do you drink?”                                                                                     “Vinegar, blacking and good red ink.”

“Witch, witch, where do you sleep?”                                                                                    “Up in the clouds where pillows are cheap.”

On Monday 25th June we will be performing these poems in class, with one child (or pair if the children have decided to perform it as a pair) being chosen to perform it in the competition.

It is with great sadness that we heard of the passing of Alex Merriman, our Chair of Governors. Mother Helen spoke to the children this morning in assembly where we read a prayer for Alex and his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody during this terribly sad time.

We hope you all have a good weekend,

The Year One Team