Year One Blog: We Are Storytellers

This week it was National Storytelling week and in Willow Class we have been busy retelling our own version of a modern fairy tale ‘Into the Forest’. Last week the children planned the story on a story map and then wrote their version on Tuesday. We were all blown away by the descriptive detail the children included in their writing. They used included lots of descriptive details to make their stories interesting and should feel extremely proud of all of their hard work. We can’t wait for you to read them at parents’ evening next week.

In maths we have been learning how to partition numbers into tens and ones. Next week we will be reviewing the key skills taught this term by consolidating our reasoning and problem solving skills.

Next Thursday (13th February) we will be making a fairy tale story box. The children will need to bring in a shoe box (or a small box) that can be used to create the fairy tale setting. A few examples are below:

This week’s book recommendation is written by Chloe:

“I am recommending the book ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’.

I like this book because although it can be a bit scary there are some exciting parts like when Hermoine travels back in time and the Professor turns into a werewolf. I really like the characters in the story and Harry Potter is my favourite. I think it is little bit sad but it is still funny. ”

This week the children have participated in a phonics quiz to review their sound knowledge. At parents evening we will share with you the sounds to practise with your children over half term.

Next week it is the turn of Nina, Oliver, Arto and Ana for Show and Tell.

We hope you have a restful weekend,

The Year One Team